The ninth annual Run on Tuna has started and is in full “run” mode through September 30th. Collecting as many cans of tuna as they can is the overall goal for the month long campaign to support the Food Bank of Northern Nevada and Hunger Action Month. All cans of tuna collected will be donated to the Food Bank of Northern Nevada. This year’s goal is to once again to collect over 10,000 cans of tuna.
The fundraiser has evolved over the years to not just De De Rosene, founder of Run on Tuna, and her husband collecting. Now many businesses, like Chase International, Geodis, Gold Dust West Casino Reno, Assured Partners Consulting and the firefighters from East Fork Fire Protection District are having their own month long “run on tuna” and collecting a convincing amount of cans that play a significant role in exceeding previous years’ goals.
“We are so excited that Run on Tuna happens every September,” says Joceyln Lantrip, marketing director for the Food Bank of Northern Nevada. “We are amazed every year at the size of the donation and with a goal of over 10,000 cans, we are already thrilled! The number of our neighbors in need in our community is still so very high and with over 92,000 people being served each month, a donation of protein like this is so valuable for these families.”
“Since 2011 Run on Tuna has collected and donated over 100,000 cans of tuna to the Food Bank of Northern Nevada!” says Rosene. “Never did I think after the first year collecting 5,500 cans that we would be up over 100,000 just 8 years later. We are so grateful to everyone who donates and participates. We call it a “CAN-Do-Attitude,” states Rosene.
How to participate: All funds will be used to buy cans of tuna
- Buy cans of tuna and either call/email De De to pick them up or bring them to 10526 French Meadows Way, Reno, NV 89521
- Bring your tuna to our radio stations, located at 961 Matley Lane, Suite 120, Reno, NV 89502
- Use Venmo to donate money and De De will go on a “tuna run” and purchase cans of tuna on your behalf. Venmo: De De Rosene @ Diane-Rosene. All funds will be used to buy cans of tuna!
- Send a check to De De Rosene at: 10526 French Meadows Way, Reno, NV 89521 and De De will purchase cans of tuna on your behalf
- Have your own “Tuna Run” at your organization or business. Contact De De for a flyer and more information
Hunger Action Month is a national campaign of Feeding America which encourages communities to take an active role in ending hunger during the month of September. Food Banks all over the nation participate in events throughout the month.